Sunday, February 17, 2008

ICE FISHING

As I set my right foot out on the ice I feel a sense of excitement as the snow and ice crunches from the cleats beneath my feet. No worries though, the ice is well over eight inches thick. The sun is slowing creeping over the orange and pink horizon, while I carry fishing poles in a bucket in my right hand and pull a sled full of equipment with my left. Birdlike shapes on the ice quickly catch my eye.

The early bird gets the worm. However, these Canadian geese aren't looking for worms as they sound their low clucks and honks, rather they are scouting out nesting grounds for when the ice thaws and the snow melts. Tall brown grasses and reeds line the shoreline and sway with the blowing wind, a perfect nesting site.

The air bitterly blows against my face taking away the feeling I once had in my nose. When its below zero plus a wind chill, warmth is a luxury when ice fishing. With the sun now shining brightly, various colors appear in the reflection of the ice and bring warmth to a cold body. Soon the roar of the ice auger plunges down into the lake along with the grinding sound of metal against ice. As someone scoops loose ice from the holes with a dipper, the chips land on the ice as if someone had dropped their lucky marbles.

Now the only sounds that can be heard are the whispers of fishermen and the melody of the lines of rigged fishing poles as wind passes over them. Most everyone is focused on the bobbers floating on top of the water, beacons to signify a bite. Excitement again rises as the competition to catch the first fish begins.

No comments: