Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Extra Credit

Writer: Selah Saterstrom


"One ended up having a happy life...One ended up having a sad life."

Selah Saterstrom is the author of The Meat and Spirit Plan and The Pink Institution and is currently working on a piece called Slab. Her readings weren't quite as dynamic as some of the other readers I've seen but her humor mad up for it in greatly. Some quotes from Slab happen to be the following:
"Well, you look about as board as road kill"
"Boredom when identified leads to new opportunites"
"'Well, listen," I said, "Everybody loves something'"
"When there is a plan, its all right"
"One ended up having a happy life...one ended up having a sad life"
and my favorite
"Black dog, Mo$$% FU@#%&"

The one I would like to expand upon is "one ended up having a happy life...one ended up having a sad life." In her works, she frequently uses dogs. This saying happen to spark a memory of mine while watching the movie The Missing. In the movie there are a few lines about the part Tommy Lee Jones said by the antagonist that I vaguely remember, but I remember the point. The antagonist said Tommy has two dogs inside of him, one good one evil, and they are fighting. Then he asks which one wins. Tommy replies with which ever one I feed the most, I guess, or something along those lines. The antagonist tells him he's wrong! By his inner dogs being in turmoil, they wer killing him, niether one was winning. Unless Tommy did something about this, in other words, he would die. There are two outcomes "One ended up having a happy life" or... "One ended up having a sad life." Being I don't want to ruin the ending, lets just say Tommy dies but it is up to use to decide if he died happy or sad.

No comments: