Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Favorite Video

When I first heard this song on the radio, I immediately fell in love with it. Ever since, I find myself singing along with it on the radio as well as in the shower! It's a great feeling to echo my voice with such deep resonance as his only my voice needs some tuning. The video is surprising to me because it refers to this long black train as beautiful yet deadly at the same time. It is much like a fast car in a sense. When I see one, I wish I could ride on it, but in this case to do so would mean the end of me. I can hear the "chug-chug" of the wheels on the tracks and the wistle of the engineer. He calls out all aboard, yet I find my self hesitating on the edge of something dreadful like standing on the edge of a knife. Which way will I turn? Quickly my mind shifts to what would happen if I waited for the train while on the tracks? Will it pass over me if I lie down or will it mutilate my body to pieces? Will I react fast enough to move out of the way or will I be so distracted by a beautiful lie that it hits me dead on at 50 mph. Steam rolls from the engine as if it was on fire-like burning hell, yet the engineer is standing there feeding it with more lost souls as if the heat gave him strength. Who is next in line to be tossed into his fire? "Certainly not me," I say to myself, yet time after time I find myself staring at it in awe, oblivious to what it really is. Maybe I could just ride for a few minutes and hop off when most desperate. No, that would only lead to me being caught in its trap doomed to die a fiery death. So I ask myself, where is the white light when all I see is this long black train? Where is my other option? Have I been staring in awe for so long that the other door has already shut meaning one way or other I end up taking a ride on that long black train?

1 comment:

Travis Goes said...

Now, obviously, this song can be taken into many different contexts. The way you put it in your writing is the long black train is death, but yet you stare at it in utter amazement and beauty. I see the long black train as life's trials it decides to throw at us as a result of what we have done. For instance, I hung out with the wrong crowd for an extended period of time, and I began starting bad habits that are still with me today. That would be my verson of 'the long black train' because I know in my heart I can kick these bad habits, I just choose not to, just yet.